Tuesday, January 7, 2014

SKETCHBOOK TUESDAY-Key West Lighthouse


Happy New Year!!

Come join me as we continue our Lighthouse Sketchbook tour in the little latitudes known as Key West.
Welcome to the Keys

A trip to Key West is only a hop, skip and a jump from where I live.  About six hours if you stop along the way to have conch fritters and take in the views.

Conch Fritters

Today I'm sharing some sketches of Key West Lighthouse and some history about the lighthouse keepers.

Key West Lighthouse from a distance

I love the history of lighthouses and the KW Lighthouse is no exception.  Read about Barbara Mabrity HERE. Barbara was the assistant lightkeeper with her husband and six children. After her husband died she was appointed lightkeeper.  She was the first woman lighthouse keeper. You can read about the Hurricane of 1846 HERE, that wiped out the lighthouse and part of  Mabrity's family. And what happened when the Civil War came along and the area was occupied by the Union forces HERE.
Key West Lighthouse up close

 It is all very interesting historical events and I hope you will take time to read about these brave men and women who kept the lighthouses.

Come join me next week as we explore the west coast of Florida when we visit the Sanibel Lighthouse.

Until then, grab your sketchpad and get outside and sketch!

Happy Sketching,
Suzy

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Okay I'm on my way, too cold for words....Conch fritters look fab. xox

PS register your blog on bloglovin so I can comment there, I have to go direct to you site and do it. Sometimes all you have to do is register it officially.....